rear seat - structural?

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

rear seat - structural?

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

LOOK! I EDITED WHAT MAY VERY WELL BE GENES FIRST EVER POST!!!!!!!!!

CRUMZ

Hehehe

9/12/05
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

tunney
Regular

Post by tunney »

well i not 100% sure i wolud say yes cause it's part of the chassie isnt it not 100% sure tho
kheading
Regular

Post by kheading »

Ive learnt that that the bodys are very strong, even if you removed the whole seat base but left the chassis rail untouched,shouldnt affect the car strength
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

kheading wrote:Ive learnt that that the bodys are very strong, even if you removed the whole seat base but left the chassis rail untouched,shouldnt affect the car strength
LOL i think i would pass on that.. cos im pretty sure it *would* effect it seen as all the diff and links etc bolts up to it

kheading
Regular

Post by kheading »

well it sounds like you have already made up your mind. Try stating what mods your wanting to do and you should get some more detailed answers.
The lower arms are not a part of the seat base and the front of the diff mount isnt part of the seat base, its all fixed to the floor.
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

:roll:

i know they bolt to the floor. but the seat is over that section.. its part of keeping it all stiff and true.. so cutin it all out like u said will cause ALOT of problems..

as for making my mind up.. no i havnt because i didnt ask if cuting the lot out will effect it

PSI-26L
Regular

Post by PSI-26L »

Yes i say it is a very structural part and cutting it will decrease strength but this doesnt mean you cant do it. If it is modified so that the strength of that area is equal to or better then the original design then there is no reason why you cant do it. Just get approval from an engineer first before you do too much.
macca_loto
Long Term Member

Post by macca_loto »

yeah im with PSI-26L on this gene. i cut through a sedan rear seat and it seems to be very structural. A triangle is the stongest common shape know to man and i noticed alot of roughly formed triangles in the seat base. I wouls suss out an engineer forst as to how much you can cut/ if he lets you cut what does he want you to do to regain the strength there.

CHRIS...