Merv, Upgrade to phpBB 3.0 already! :p

Got a suggestion or idea to make the forums better or more user friendly. Post it in this forum. Also report any bugs or problems here
EVL WON
Long Term Member

Merv, Upgrade to phpBB 3.0 already! :p

Post by EVL WON »

Many nice features that this site could benefit from, like embedded YouTube videos and stronger forum security. :D
“Horsepower makes you fast in a straight line, lightness makes you fast everywhere” - Colin Chapman
terra82
Regular

Post by terra82 »

yep upgrade plz
bump
PROJECTS:
Td panelvan g200z

DAILY:
99series 3 vs commodore ute

ID RATHER BE A YOUNG DICKHEAD THAN AN OLD FART !
IZU069

Post by IZU069 »

Yeah - it's the little "Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group" thingy you see at the bottom of every page.
Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Post by Frederick Stienheld »

It's nearly ready to roll, I just need to finish it all off. I keep getting sidetracked!
stock_gem
Regular

Post by stock_gem »

wow, this was a while ago... upgrayed... man!

love to see this forum get with the times... :?
Last edited by stock_gem on Fri Feb 32, 3043 13:75 pm; edited 3.14159265 times in total
Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Upgrading to PHPBB3 is doable now that we've moved to our new server.
The problem is the templates/themes available. I want to keep ozgemini looking very similar. I was working on a new templated but decided I didn't like it so I deleted it.
Maybe someday soon I'll start with the standard PHPBB3 template and ozgemify it...
Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Update: After a few late nights coding I'm getting a phpBB3 style looking similar to what we have now. I'm probably halfway through the process.
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

Still happening??

It's hard to believe this thread began in 2008!!!

:shock:

I know it isn't done this way here Merv, but seriously, sometimes allowing 'outsiders' to help might take the load of you and actually speed up the process. By the time phpBB3 gets activated here I'm expecting phpBB4 beta to have been released!

If I may be so bold to say it, a community effort is a positive thing rather than you and Gene battling to get it all done in your spare time.... It's simple enough to start a test forum that other select members are permitted to access and modify in a controlled way.

Alternatively, rather than insisting the forum MUST remain looking the same and thereby requiring a year and a half (or more) wait till it comes into being, how about just using a basic template for the time being and get the software happening. The dressing up can wait in my books, it's the added features that matter. What matters more, a search that works or a spiffy looking front page??

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
stock_gem
Regular

Post by stock_gem »

the spiffy looking front page of course 8)

what i think is a good idea is the logo in the header be updated to look like the ozgem stickers, with a different angle of the coupe behind it :D
Last edited by stock_gem on Fri Feb 32, 3043 13:75 pm; edited 3.14159265 times in total
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

If only you knew the list of features that phpBB3 has to offer...! It makes phpBB2 seem so obsolete. The differences are incredible. Just as a few examples:
* admin can set minimum and maximum characters per post so spamming (lets say anything less than 20 letters) can't be posted.
* the built in sign up security features do away for the need to restrict noobs to 'no image posting' for a set number of posts.
* use of flash and video feeds is possible in posts
Those are just a few features that we can't do now without adding mods and any admin person knows adding mods is a major headache when it comes to upgrading later.

Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

Ok, time to refresh this again I think. Please don't make a argument of this, it's just my thoughts and a bit of a prod hoping it urges some movement again...

Looking back at past discussions about the problems of upgrading to phpBB3 and what seems to be the major ones is the Charcoal2 theme template is not made for phpBB3 which simply means start with something different (what other options are there?) and the problems involved with an update due to the number of add on forum mods that have been integrated into the current forum phpBB2 software... So it is going to need a fairly hefty mess about to make it happen BUT, at the moment phpBB3 is powering of into future and the longer this forum remains phoBB2, the more chances are it will become very difficult, if not impossible to upgrade one day.

It's like someone who stubbornly keeps using Windows95 (because if it ain't broke, why stuff with it) then suddenly the PC breaks, new PC, oh ohhhh new hardware won't even look at Windows95 software so need to buy Windows7 and what do ya know, all the old backed up Windows95 data just isn't compatible with the Windows7 software. So the longer the change takes, the more likely it's going to be a real major drama to fix it if it breaks and the more likely it's going to find unexpected glitches in the transition.

So, somehow things need to be simplified so the transition can happen Perhaps a period where new member sign ups is stopped while mods relevant to that are removed so a sudden influx of hoax new members isn't an issue. Perhaps stopping everyone posting images across the board while the image restriction count mod is removed... It may just mean that there could be a short restricted period while changes are made and it may mean we all have to just get used to logging in to a basic default theme while things get sorted, after all the template is nice but not as essential as getting a smooth change happening.

The hardest thing is all this is left up to Merv and so far it's been in the pipeline for three years or more. There are others amongst us who know how to help but obviously Merv prefers to do it alone which unfortunately doesn't seem to be happening real quickly.

I think it's time to bite the bullet and make a change before something happens that seriously puts a stop on things.

Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

I don't know why you keep posting about this Germinator.
I know how to manage the mods and do an upgrade... I have a dummy site that is converted and running PHPBB3.
I know the features available in PHPBB3... for a full list of BB2 vs. BB3 go here http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/
Ear bashing me about it is not going to make it happen any faster

I have the theme to a point where it's acceptable to make the change.

What a need now is a decent block of time to freeze the whole site and do the changeover.

When I come on the site I spend all my time (tonight included) reading complaints and cleaning up shitfights. By the end of that it's too late, I'm too tired & I have no desire to be up till 2am or longer making the conversion.

The conversion will come, it's almost ready... I just need to test running the shared user database between tech & non tech forums on BB3.. I'm hoping it works as easily as BB2. Then i need a good block of time to freeze the forums and convert them both over.
stock_gem
Regular

Post by stock_gem »

hey, i'll clean up the shitfights if it means more spare time for you :D
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

Merv, I understand what's involved. Don't mistake what I posted as a negative, it's not. If you need to shut the site for a day to complete it then that's how it goes. All I was leaning to was it really doesn't matter that the site keeps it's 'look' while it transitions. That can be done on the fly after things are converted. A neat prosilver theme works for me! :) It's the info that matters more than the background look.

Anyway, hope you get the time to convert soon, I think a lot of people are keen to see the upgrade.

BLK-TDPANO
Regular

Post by BLK-TDPANO »

what eneded up happenning to this?