Forum format...

Got a suggestion or idea to make the forums better or more user friendly. Post it in this forum. Also report any bugs or problems here
firebug
Regular

Forum format...

Post by firebug »

Hi guys,

I'm finding that when I'm opening a thread in a forum it's taking ages to open. That is I can open The OzGem website fine, Tech/Non tech sections just fine, Sub forums fine, but when clicking on an individual thread it slows down to about dialup speed... :? I have fast internet that opens any other page as fast as I can lift my finger off the mouse.

I figured it was my browser so I did a test this morning and picked a random thread with no attached pictures and timed it:

Firefox (defult): averaged 24 seconds

Google Chrome: averaged 22 seconds

Internet Explorer: averaged 41 seconds

It doesn't load in bits and pieces, it displays the forum banner, subject heading and forum wallpaper immediately, then the body of the thread appears all together later. This part of the message board format is the bit I'm wondering about so I can search for a solution.

For some reason eBay is doing a similar thing. In the search it wont display the thumbnail pictures of any item, but will display the pictures once the item is opened. However the item discription wont appear and I get a "Sorry, the connection has timed out" message window where the discription should be... :(

This must be a problem in my computer yes? Any help would be appreciated...

Bill
"Can't stop addicted to the shindig!..."
Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Post by Frederick Stienheld »

See if you can disable javascript and see if that fixes the problem. My guess is that it would.

How old are your web browsers?
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

IE Windows 7 came with the computer about 2yrs ago. Firefox was downloaded then also but is regularly updated. Chrome was downloaded 2 days ago because of this problem with little effect.

Lets assume I know SFA about internet settings and tell me and those playing at home how to disable Javascript... :D
Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

In firefox you go into options and then the content tab and it should be in there.

For IE read the following link :)
http://www.mistered.us/tips/javascript/browsers.shtml
firebug
Regular

Post by firebug »

Thanx for that, I have disabled Javascript and the threads are back to normal.

So was is the issue then? I cannot view eBay at all now as it tells me I need Javascript enabled to continue. The thumbs and description still wont load with Javascript enabled... :(
Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

Yeah, you'll pretty much want javascript enabled.
Disabling it wasn't a solution but just to help diagnose the problem.
I'm thinking maybe it's something to do with google analytics.
I will have a look if there's updated code for it and if there is that would fix the problem for you on ozgemini. As for the other websites there's nothing I can do.
Frederick Stienheld
Site Admin

okie I've upgraded the google code to the latest version.

See if that fixes ozgemini loading times with javascript re enabled