Brock's ZZ Prototype article (400kb in total)

F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

I seriously doubt the car ran 17second quarters. If someone is willing to let me drive their ZZ/R, im willing to put money on it that i will get it into the 16second bracket. What you need to understand is that the timing equiptment back then was severly innacurate. A VN SS manual is quoted as running 14.7second quarters standard, which is funnily enough similar to whats quoted for the VT SS Gen 3. So why is it the Gen 3 leaves it gasping for air?

The Diesel engine that the DOHC is allegedly based on is NOT the 4FB1, it is allegedly the engine [unknown designation, someone else might know it] used in the Bellet and Bellel diesels. This is an ANCIENT engine, and considering we got relatively little Bellets of which the majority were G series pushrod petrol engined, good luck finding one.

The 15k price would have just snuck it under the Alfa. In Australia, we are fed bulls*#t from an early age, creating and promoting bias for established products and what is pushed across as "the norm". 15K is alot for a brand new Gemini with an advanced DOHC EFI engine, close ratio 5speed, LSD, 4W discs - i mean, its only a Gemini. But people are willing to pay almost 20k more then a standard Executive commodore for its V8 engined equivilant. Wheres the justification in that?

I hate Datsuns and Alfas for that reason - they are over-rated heaps of s*#t that dont deserve the hype they recieve.

Nick-
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Tassie ZZ/Z
Regular

Post by Tassie ZZ/Z »

i bought a jap import 1800 motor at 1 stage, it had a none cross flow overhead cam head, twin Hitachi carbs (SU type) but the block was the same as the twin cam one. Side cam drove the fuel pump, oil pump and distributor. The distributor came out of the drivers side of the block - on twincam motors this is blocked off with a welsh plug. Looked very similar to a Bellet motor but 1800cc.

I palced a DOHC head and timing case onto it, all lined up.

no idea what motor it was or what it came out of, although I do remember seeing a picture somewhere on the net of it.....

and for more useless information just pm me!

ps. Holden suck for not following through with the ZZ Gems, they could have had something there but they suck so......
Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

Tassie ZZ/Z - 117 coupe probably? The last of the Bellett GT's were "GT1800" so I suppose that's the same too.

F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

It would have more then likely been a G180SSS out of the 117 Coupe, they were a 1.8 pushrod twin carb engine. I have heard of the head lining up on these but ive also heard they dont, so i wouldnt have a clue.

Nick-
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

Nah he said it was overhead cam, the one in the 117 pictured is overhead cam too. Thought it was Belletts and Florians that used pushrods?

Head looks very different between the 2