gemini increased steering angle

Technical Disscusion Forum will be used for in depth threads that are moved here by a mod/admin member.... everyone is welcome to add their input, but only on topic replys
yldgem
Long Term Member

Post by yldgem »

macca_loto wrote:on another note what if you slotted the top control arm so the balljoint could slide back towards the rear of the vehicle more thus inncreasing caster angle?

CHRIS...
that may work...but slotting may weaken it, if you could fold a lip or similar to keep strength..??
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

sloting the top ball joint pulls the wheel in closer tot he shock.. better to slot the bottom contorl arm mounting points and push the lower arm out.. same result, wider track and wont go as close to the shock as it would if u were to move the balljoint in :wink:
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

Gemi Coupe
Long Term Member

Post by Gemi Coupe »

post contents removed
Last edited by Gemi Coupe on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

masssive efort cuting and shutting thelower arm when sloting the lower bolt mounts does the same thing :?

Image[/quote]

if slotting is not pushing it out enough then just drill a new hole 20-30mm out on each side and move the arm to that point :?:

Gemi Coupe
Long Term Member

Post by Gemi Coupe »

post contents removed
Last edited by Gemi Coupe on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

to get 100mm (50mm on each side) u would only need to slot the lower mounting holes by (apporxamatly) 20mm... possiblty even less.. by the time u multiply the distance u move it out by the distance from the point the wheel pivots on to the bottom of the wheel where it touches the gorund (and all that :lol: )

someone smart can work it out to be exact :lol:

Gemi Coupe
Long Term Member

Post by Gemi Coupe »

post contents removed
Last edited by Gemi Coupe on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macca_loto
Long Term Member

Post by macca_loto »

Gene FJ20DET wrote:sloting the top ball joint pulls the wheel in closer tot he shock.. better to slot the bottom contorl arm mounting points and push the lower arm out.. same result, wider track and wont go as close to the shock as it would if u were to move the balljoint in :wink:

This will increase camber but you walso want to increse the caster to a certain degree by slotting the top balljoint rearwards! (draw a line throught the top and bottom balljoints and you have the caster angle)

CHRIS...
STREET WISE PERFORMANCE ~ "Coming to a suburb near you"

TG- Latest Project plans not sure
WH Caprice daily driver- Tune, Exhaust, auto, stall, diff gears, Valve springs, U/Dirve pulley, OTRCAI 12.7@ 108 MPH
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

dosnt castor only get affected by moving the steering axis forward or backward??? hows pushing the lower arm out or the upper arm in affect it in a differnt way from eachother?? i would have thought they woudl be doing the same thing... only diff woudl be the wider track.... :?:

macca_loto
Long Term Member

Post by macca_loto »

Gene FJ20DET wrote:dosnt castor only get affected by moving the steering axis forward or backward??? hows pushing the lower arm out or the upper arm in affect it in a differnt way from eachother?? i would have thought they woudl be doing the same thing... only diff woudl be the wider track.... :?:
but your not pushing the arms out or in your moving them towards the front of the car or towards the rear of the car.
STREET WISE PERFORMANCE ~ "Coming to a suburb near you"

TG- Latest Project plans not sure
WH Caprice daily driver- Tune, Exhaust, auto, stall, diff gears, Valve springs, U/Dirve pulley, OTRCAI 12.7@ 108 MPH
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

but slotting the lower controll arm pushs the lower arm out.. not forward :?:

Bugle
Long Term Member

Post by Bugle »

He's saying slot the holes the other way which I can't see working as the balljoint would end up hitting the edge of the arm and the mount holes would overlap the big hole.
Dunno why you would bother, you could just move the whole upper arm backwards at the crossmember.
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

im so lost lol.. why on earth would u slot then the other way??? :?

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh ok.. i think macca was talking about increasing steering when me and gemi coupe were talking camber+wider track

Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Gene FJ20DET wrote:but slotting the lower controll arm pushs the lower arm out.. not forward :?:

Mooving it out will move it backwards or forwards.

The mounting points are different distances from the centre line of the vehicle.

Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
F|sh
Long Term Member

Post by F|sh »

i'd rather move the whole top arm than the ball joint. you do that by changing the length of the top bolt tube.

Camber increase is done by pushing lower arm out.
Why would a drifter need more lock? if so just fit a bloody old kingswood assembly in....
Increasing the front track increase oversteer.
Increasing the rear track increases understeer.

The gemini series runs a standard lock 3.9 turns lok to lock.

Anyway back to work.