The Question FINALY answered - VL centers

Technical Disscusion Forum will be used for in depth threads that are moved here by a mod/admin member.... everyone is welcome to add their input, but only on topic replys
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

so u have these 2 links on top of your diff in your gemini already??

i wil be getting the lux diff cut down to size etc.. so that shoul dbe all good
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

scottr0076
Regular

Diff centres

Post by scottr0076 »

its not my car but yes there is to links on top of the diff with no torque tube or front diff supports
Poida
BANNED

Post by Poida »

Firstly. The Hilux diffs are different over the different series and all wider than a Gemini as far as I know. I can't imagine any are going to be narrower. I have an RN25 and being a 1975 model I'd imagine it will be narrower than all the later ones and it is so close to the same width it isn't funny. The RN25 diff is 130cm wide. It uses the ford Falcon pattern and has massive drum brakes compared to the Gemini ones. However, finding nice ratios in a Hilux is going to be a trick. Most of the petrol models are around 4.3:1 - 4.5:1 ish.

The second, and more difficult problem, is getting an extension shaft made up to attach to the input shaft of the Hilux pinion gear if you planned on using a torque tube like the Gemini design. The Gemini pinion is made to fit a splined coupling and the Hilux is like most diffs of the era, made for an externally mounted yoke. The easiest part of the deal would be making a torque tube. The shaft inside the torque tube is the bigger problem.
Rodeobob
Long Term Member

Post by Rodeobob »

Poida wrote: The Gemini pinion is made to fit a splined coupling and the Hilux is like most diffs of the era, made for an externally mounted yoke. The easiest part of the deal would be making a torque tube. The shaft inside the torque tube is the bigger problem.
The yolk sets the preload for the pinion gear, so you have to have something bolted down onto the pinion shaft.

Bob.
Piazza for sale, black, manual, in fair condition with heaps of parts $3500 (parts not for sale seperately)
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME FOR ASSISTANCE, IM AN ASSHOLE YOU WILL GET AN EAR BASHING, ASK IN THE GENERAL FORUM.
Poida
BANNED

Post by Poida »

Yeah Bob that's another part of the problem. Still relevant to how you'd set up the extension shaft inside the torque tube. It isn't just a case of a simple swap. Probably easier and cheaper to set up a four link such as the Torana and bigger Holdens used. All you really need is to add in the upper two links. The lower ones are there (may need to reinforce it or alter the angles) as is a panhard rod. If there is room to fit in a pair of top arms....
kheading
Regular

Post by kheading »

Just some shots of a vn commodore/gemini four link system.
Thought it was a good idea at the time to beat-box with shaving cream on my face, until it started snowing.
jimbob03
Chatterbox

Post by jimbob03 »

gene have u heard of devcon they made alot of stange s*#t i know they make a 2part urethane kit u could try to make a torque tube rubber with this stuff i know quite a few bloke make engine mounts with this stuff just an idea
Poida
BANNED

Post by Poida »

I don't even want to ask who's VN rear axle modified Gemini this is...

Some really bad looking things in those images.

The cover things welded onto the floor pan to house the upper links will probably not pass engineering. I don't think you are allowed to cut holes like that in the floor pan and the pivot point for the front of those arms don't seem to be reinforced to me.

Is that box a fuel distribution can of sorts? If so, what is it doing inside the cabin of the car?

And in this image it look like the axle tubes have been cut n shut half way along the length of them. It looks a lot like the green part is the original outer Gemini section and the black part is the original inner Commodore section. That axle, is it a four stud Gemini pattern and if so, how was that managed with the Borg Warner 78 centre? They are 25 spline centres and to my knowledge all had five stud axles.

Just curious....
Burntrubber
Regular

Post by Burntrubber »

It looks to be kheadings van its in this video on this page

http://www.ozgemini.com/viewtopic.php?t=5234
Poida
BANNED

Post by Poida »

Yep it does... so, I'd be interested to hear in response to the points I made.

Has this car been engineered and passed with the things I pointed out?
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

kingslys whole car is 100% enigneered.. he spent a dick load of cash making it legal not to long ago

Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

Poida wrote:
And in this image it look like the axle tubes have been cut n shut half way along the length of them. It looks a lot like the green part is the original outer Gemini section and the black part is the original inner Commodore section. That axle, is it a four stud Gemini pattern and if so, how was that managed with the Borg Warner 78 centre? They are 25 spline centres and to my knowledge all had five stud axles.
looks to me that the gemini diff was green and when they took the tubes out to cut them down and weld on the new link brakets they have ground back the green paint.. in that area.. not cut and shuut the tubes

kheading
Regular

Post by kheading »

Poida wrote:I don't even want to ask who's VN rear axle modified Gemini this is...

Some really bad looking things in those images.

The cover things welded onto the floor pan to house the upper links will probably not pass engineering.Take another look at them from inside the car and underneith on your back. I don't think you are allowed to cut holes like that in the floor pan and the pivot point for the front of those arms don't seem to be reinforced to me. Do you think i would drive it if the upper are boxes were not up to standard, yes they are engineered.

Is that box a fuel distribution can of sorts? If so, what is it doing inside the cabin of the car? I guess doing the same job as the factory fuel tank does, providing fuel for the motor, where else would you put it in a van, yes its engineered.

And in this image it look like the axle tubes have been cut n shut half way along the length of them. It looks a lot like the green part is the original outer Gemini section and the black part is the original inner Commodore section.Correct, flared and inserted, welded around the join and plug welded and yes engineered. That axle, is it a four stud Gemini pattern and if so, how was that managed with the Borg Warner 78 centre? They are 25 spline centres and to my knowledge all had five stud axles. They are 28 spline axles, cut down to lenghth, the 5 studs were plugged up and redrilled to 4 stud and yes it is engineered.

Just curious....
Thought it was a good idea at the time to beat-box with shaving cream on my face, until it started snowing.
Poida
BANNED

Post by Poida »

Righto. I was not meaning to be rude about what I said. I made those comments going by what I understand to be permitted from an engineering modifications perspective. My concern is primarily safety related above any legal questions.

Regarding the fuel can, it's still inside the car cabin when it could have been placed in an alternative location. this option may have been approved by an engineer but is there a safer alternative? No production cars have the fuel line running inside the cabin area even if it's a commercial vehicle such as a van. I have a van and there is no way if I were to convert it to EFI that I'd be running a high pressure fuel line inside the car cabin. It still comes down to what happens if a High pressure fuel line ruptures of comes loose. look at a popular pump, a Bosch 044 EFI pump, 200 litres per hour(~3 litres/min) of fuel at pressures between 2.5 - 3.5 bar (250-35kpa). Imagine that pumping at full steam inside the car cabin!

I haven't (yet) explored the option of continuing with the original low pressure fuel line to the engine bay where the fuel distribution can is located and the high pressure pump runs directly from the can. The safest way would have to be the shortest possible high pressure fuel line and definately outside the cars cabin if it's high pressure.

Gene, you yourself stated a very similar comment about cutting into the floor pan, remember...
kheading
Regular

Post by kheading »

Very valid reasons for the surge tank not being safe inside the car. Altho all my high pressure lines are on the out side of the car.

This system involves:

Factory intank pump to the surge tank (low presure, almost no resitance), then returns back to fuel tank.

Surge tank to high pressur pump (outside of car), to the motor then return back to the surge tank and back to the fuel tank.

All hoses are injection standards