another possible lsd option

Technical Disscusion Forum will be used for in depth threads that are moved here by a mod/admin member.... everyone is welcome to add their input, but only on topic replys
stubbsy212
Regular

Post by stubbsy212 »

Ive emailed Quaife and their Australia/New Zealand Distributor for a price :)
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

stubbsy212 wrote:Ive emailed Quaife and their Australia/New Zealand Distributor for a price :)
very interesting... keen to see the outcome of this
stubbsy212
Regular

Post by stubbsy212 »

Got a very fast reply from the distributor
price is $1300 nzd
freight is $165 via nz - two weeks

we have an order leaving uk tommorow that we could add if need, you would have to either email attached form or call on 1800760198 to order.

Deane
So thats pretty good. Only thing we need to do is get all the dimensions of a bare diesel centre and make sure its the same. Its a positive sign that the crownwheel is the right diametre though.

Cheers Nick[/quote]
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

what are diesel diffs like to find though? how many were sold in AU
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

Cuz
Regular

Post by Cuz »

hahaha, looks like the cat is out of the bag for the quaife!!

I can 100% confirm this works - it's what i've had built for my Gem. I took it one step further and got custom side gears made for the quaife to accept a 28spline billet axle.

Things to consider:
1. Diesel ratio may not be ideal depending on setup
2. Diesel diffs are hard to find
3. Diesel rear drums are smaller than standard Gemini rear drums (though a piazza rear disc swap is easy)
4. Helical LSD is not ideal for drifting and will rob some power as it is torque sensing
5. Helical LSD is not ideal if you lift a wheel or have to deal with a surface with no resistance (ie ice) as it will have 0 drive.
6. Not sure on this, but pretty sure the piazza and diesel spline count is different, which means you will need to get resplined/custom axles to suit. Pretty sure the piazza ones are too long for the diesel housing
Germinator
Long Term Member

Post by Germinator »

Pretty sure the (imported) torque tube type Isuzu Piazza and Gemini diesel axles have the same spline count but the Piazza axles certainly are longer. The (local produced) Holden YB Piazza has an altogether different diff setup. You can use the brakes off it (on a Gemini diesel axle) but the diff itself won't be of any use in a Gemini. I think it's the same bolt pattern for the banjo style centre mount as the early (KB) Rodeo models.

I do not give permission for anyone to reproduce content from my posts.
Reposting any of my forum posts (or substantial parts thereof) breaches the copyright act.
GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Post by GEMWRC »

stubbsy212 wrote:Got a very fast reply from the distributor
price is $1300 nzd
freight is $165 via nz - two weeks

we have an order leaving uk tommorow that we could add if need, you would have to either email attached form or call on 1800760198 to order.

Deane
So thats pretty good. Only thing we need to do is get all the dimensions of a bare diesel centre and make sure its the same. Its a positive sign that the crownwheel is the right diametre though.

Cheers Nick

T-Tube Pizza and Diesel Spline is the same
$1073 AU
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

Cuz wrote:hahaha, looks like the cat is out of the bag for the quaife!!

I can 100% confirm this works - it's what i've had built for my Gem. I took it one step further and got custom side gears made for the quaife to accept a 28spline billet axle.

Things to consider:
1. Diesel ratio may not be ideal depending on setup
2. Diesel diffs are hard to find
3. Diesel rear drums are smaller than standard Gemini rear drums (though a piazza rear disc swap is easy)
4. Helical LSD is not ideal for drifting and will rob some power as it is torque sensing
5. Helical LSD is not ideal if you lift a wheel or have to deal with a surface with no resistance (ie ice) as it will have 0 drive.
6. Not sure on this, but pretty sure the piazza and diesel spline count is different, which means you will need to get resplined/custom axles to suit. Pretty sure the piazza ones are too long for the diesel housing
Don't forget the multi-plate style originally posted by BAD 44U as an option. I'm sure if you really looked hard you could find different ratio gear sets from the UK or US.
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

1400$ for the center, plus postage, rare housing, rare disks etc..

for the kinda money, rarity, and the fact its out of a 2L n/a (questionability about strength) why not just get on board with the axels and center that coxy is having done up?
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

elky
Gemini Master

Post by elky »

diesel rear ends are not hard to find.....well for me anyways :wink:

yep after all the dust has settled coxy's is still a better bet, able to take more grunt and using locally sourced bits easier to fix....

plus the rear zz/piazza discs are not much of an improvement in braking anyways....

cheers
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

Some pics of the diesel centre
Measurements are only approximate

small bearing diameter 25mm
large bearing diameter 35mm
overall length 198mm
spline 22 teeth at 24mm diameter
12 drive teeth

Crownwheel bolt pcd 132mm
Teeth 43
Crownwheel spigot diameter 110mm
Bolt hole diameter 10mm
Height 30mm
Overall diameter 170mm

Small salisbury cownwheel bolt PCD 134mm
Small salisbury bolt hole diameter 9mm

Crownwheel face to bearing 23mm
Bearing diameter 38mm
Sidegear spline 24 teeth at 26mm diameter
Bearing to bearing 115mm
Overall length 152mm
Overall diameter 155mm
Last edited by gemsince88 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

Gene FJ20DEBT wrote:1400$ for the center, plus postage, rare housing, rare disks etc..

for the kinda money, rarity, and the fact its out of a 2L n/a (questionability about strength) why not just get on board with the axels and center that coxy is having done up?
Horses for courses. Some blokes like the rare stuff and don't have enough power to stuff it. :)
BAD 44u
Long Term Member

Post by BAD 44u »

the guy from street and strip that does the spools and axles is chasing different ratios for me or ill get one from europe and get a petrol spool machined to suit the kaddet gears if possible.

if this works combined with 28 spline billet and the full spool in a racing application there is no reason to do a conversion.
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

The original link for the plate style diffs was to a forum that kicks you off after a while. Here is a link to the manufacturers web site.

http://www.tjmotorsport.co.uk/products.php?cat=1216
GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Post by GEMWRC »

Gene FJ20DEBT wrote:1400$ for the center, plus postage, rare housing, rare disks etc..
stubbsy212 wrote:Got a very fast reply from the distributor

price is $1300 nzd
freight is $165 via nz
Cheers Nick
Its in new zealand dollars , and at the moment .. 1 AUD = 1.3654 NZD dollar..

So $1073 AU + diesel diff