Basic 1.6 Info

Post by Crumz »

DrIFtA wrote:CODE = G161Z
COMPRESSION RATIO - TX/TC/TD = 8.7:1
COMPRESSION RATIO - TE/TF/TG = 8.3:1
BORE = 82.00mm
STROKE = 75.00mm
CAPACITY = 1584cc (96.66ci)
POWER - TX Pre ADR27A = 63kw / TX Post ADR27A = 61kw / TC&TD = 61kw / TE-TG = 50kw
TORQUE = 119nm (88lb/ft) @ 3400rpm
COMPRESSION PRESSURE = Minimum 125psi (861kpa)
IDLE SPEED = 700rpm
IGNITION TIMING = 6 deg btdc set at idle speed
DISTRIBUTOR DWELL ANGLE = 50 - 54 deg
FIRING ORDER = 1-3-4-2 ***Gemini distributor spins anti-clockwise***
SPARK PLUGS = NGK BP6ES (NGK BP5ES for tired smokey engines)
SPARK PLUG GAPS = 0.7mm - 0.8mm
VALVE CLEARANCES = Cold: Inlet = 0.15mm / Exhaust = 0.25mm
VALVE CLEARANCES = Hot: Inlet = 0.20mm / Exhaust = 0.30mm
OIL PRESSURE = 7psi (49kpa) at idle
OIL PRESSURE = 47-71psi (390-490kpa) at 2800rpm
SUMP CAPACITY = 3.2 litres without filter
SUMP CAPACITY = 3.6 litres with filter
COOLING SYSTEM CAPACITY = 6 litres
FUEL TANK CAPACITY = 52 litres

Info added compliments of 'Poida'

Gemini cam specs;
Inlet Valve:
opens (B.T.D.C) 21 deg
closes (A.B.D.C) 65 deg
duration 266 deg

Exhaust Valve:
opens (B.B.D.C) 55 deg
closes (A.T.D.C) 20 deg
duration 255 deg

The G200Z cams are indexed differently. If someone comes across the lift values for the Gemini cam, please add it to this thread and i'll add it to this post.

Please add to this information for future references
P.S Please try to keep this thread R&D related
Danny wrote:FINAL DRIVE

TX,TC
borg warner 3.89 for all models

TD
holden small salisbury 3.90 all models

TE, TF, TG
Petrol - holden small salisbury 3.90
Diesel - isuzu diff 3.58
ByteMe22 wrote:Amount produced.....

TX : Commenced Feb 1975 : 43,099
TC : Commenced Dec 1976 : 17,256
TD : Commenced Mar 1978 : 42,396
TE : Commenced Sept 1979 : 70,562
TF : Commenced Feb 1982 : 28,325
TG : Commenced Mar 1983 : 23,535
RB : Commenced May 1985 : 16,261

From the Holden Heritage 50th Anniversary Book.
The Pinkster wrote:Ok this is the general description of the G161Z out of an origional isuzu workshop manual that i picked up for 20cents at my tafe library!! I think the real gemini enthusiast should like it

GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The Model G161Z engine is a watercooled 4-cycle 4 cylinder in-line overhead camshaft type gasoline engine. The cylinder head is die cast with alluminium alloy and is bolted to the cylinder block via the wire-woven gasket which has excellent durability. The combustion chambers are of dome type design with the "V" type valva arrangement with the spark plug at the centre. The intake and exhaust ports are of the cross-flow design to ensure intake and exhaust efficiency. The camshaft is supported by 5 bearings, the caps of which are integrated with the rocker arm shaft brackets which, in turn, are bolted to the cylinder head. The cylinder block is cast integrally and water jacket is arranged symmetrically with the cylinders for efficient cooling of the cylinders. The engine adopts centre-mounting method with the mounting on the centre part of the cylinder block. The crankshaft is forged integrally with balance weights and is rigidly supported with 5 bearings. The pistons are solid type made up with Low-EX alloy which is low i rate of thermal exspansion. The 1st and 2nd compression rings are taper-face type and oil control are of a combined type consisting of 3 piece rings. The connecting rods are in the shape of the letter "I" in cross-section and are semi-floatingly assembled to the piston with the piston pin press-fitted to the connecting-rod small end. The valve mechanism is a single over head cam type utilizing a double rocker arm system in which the intake and exhaust valves are operated independently. The rocker arms are operated directly by the camshaft which in turn is driven by the chain. The timing chain is automatically adjusted by the means of a tensioner with a mechanical adjuster which is installed on the driven side. The valve system adopts double action type inner and outer springs to improve follow abilty of the valves at high speeds. The front cober which is die-cast with aluminium houses the water pump, oil pump, oil filter and distributer. The engine lubrication system is full-flow fiolter pressure circulation type incrporating a trochoid type oil pump and a cartridge type oil filter. The cooling system is pressure circulation type and includes an impellor type watyer pump and wax pellet type thermostat with jiggle valve. The fuel system includes a stromberg diaphragm type two barrel carburetor incorporating an electrical automatic choke device. The fuel pump is a centrifugal electric type and is installed within the fuel tank. The fuel system adopts a fuel return method in which excess fuel ids automatically returned to the fuel tank through the pipe line. The electrical system is designed to operate on 12v power supply and utilizes negative ground polarity. The electrical system included large capacity generator, starter motor and battery. Exhaust gas control system consists of a blow by gas control system (PVC), evaporative emission control system (EEC), coasting richer system (CRS), intake air control system (CCS), idle limiter, running-on soleniod, inresistance, lean-set on carburettor, distributor with maximum advance angle control sytem, etc

DONE! well i certainly enjoyed reading that .....if ne one can be bothered to i hope u enjoy FPRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT=Very Happy"

Thank you to PSI26L for finding this info on HG.
Another Quality Post by Crumz

Fix the roads, not the fines.
Crumz

Post by Crumz »

Some extra misc info PM'd to me from Gemi Coupe, thanks man :)

Standard Specifications:
Make HOLDEN
Family GEMINI
Model Variant SL/E
Car Series TD
Year 1978
Doors and Body Style 2D COUPE and 4D SEDAN
Engine Size 1.6 litres (1584 cc)
Fuel System CARB
Cylinders 4
Driven Wheels RWD
Bore and Stroke 82x75 mm
Power 61 kW
Torque 127 Nm
Weight to Power Ratio 15.36 : 1 (kg/kW)
Front Brakes DC
Rear Brakes DR
Wheel Dimension 5Jx13
Turning Circle 9.4 m
Compression Ratio 8.7
Final Ratio 3.9
Tank Capacity 52 litres
Exterior Length 4133 mm
Exterior Width 1570 mm
Exterior Height 1341 mm
Front Track 1301 mm
Rear Track 1305 mm
Wheel Base 2404 mm
Front Suspension Double wishbone
Rear Suspension Live axle
Kerb Weight 937 kg
Ground Clearance 145 mm
Another Quality Post by Crumz

Fix the roads, not the fines.
RIX
Regular

Post by RIX »

by lookin at those comp ratios u dont really need to decomp? corect me if im wrong
Spoons are for stabbing!
SHEEL

Post by SHEEL »

No you don't. Most of Darren's engine's actually have the comp raised to 8.5:1. (correct me if I'm wrong Darren)

A standard comp ratio is fine but its the rings you need to worry about. They don't last very long at all when boosting a stock engine.
Forgies help a heap too.
greentegemini
Regular

Post by greentegemini »

sorry to post in here. not sure if im meant to. but what do u mean by the rings dont last very long?is there any different rings you could use that would last longer? maybe crome rings?

cheers cam
F|sh
Long Term Member

Post by F|sh »

do not use chrome moly rings in a g180 or any g series engine.
gemracing
Gemini Master

Post by gemracing »

Sheel,
My turbo engines comp ratio are from 7.3-7.8/1(depending on what boost and fuel octane there going to be built for) and theres nothing wrong with running chrome rings in a turbo engine as thats what all of my engines come with(turbo),but they need to be run in properly and if you use 'cast' rings they will seal in quick,but loose there tenshion quick when you put a bit of boost unto them.All This is from what ive worked and not what ive read.

** Hey Sheel,im stripping the sound deadner out of my car and its a pain in the arse,I know how much you love doing s*#t like this :lol: :lol: so if you get some free time,its all yours :wink: :wink:

Regards,
Darren
Current Car.....

-G180 TX red coupe 9.20@148.6mph on a 26x8.5" tyre and no nitrous 2380lbs with driver
F|sh
Long Term Member

Post by F|sh »

darren

most of my motors have got blowby very very quickly with chrome moly rings.

so i'll go cast iron and just replace them every year simple.
FAT93M
Regular

Post by FAT93M »

F|sh wrote:do not use chrome moly rings in a g180 or any g series engine.
Is This true, how you get blow-by very quick using these rings?

Im Getting prices done at the moment to rebuild my g180, and im not sure what rings to go for...Someone want to clarify this for me? if they are better in the long run, i'll go for them
F|sh
Long Term Member

Post by F|sh »

Apparently the bores are softer than the rings and wear out.

I think it could be other factors but cast iron are cheap and they seal the same.
FAT93M
Regular

Post by FAT93M »

Well I Was told by one place today, that the chrome ones would last long, but take longer to run in..or something along those lines

Whilst the Cast ones run in very easy, and wear out quickly :?