Tx radiator upgrade

Forum for all the new members to ask all them questions we have heard before.
Flaming will not be tolerated... If the regulars don’t want to read noobie stuff then don’t open this forum.
NANKERVIS08
Regular

Tx radiator upgrade

Post by NANKERVIS08 »

Ok so I want to upgrade my radiator
What have people been fitting in other then them eBay ones and 3 coring
As we all know you get more cooling from a larger surface then a thicker core

So yeah what have people been getting to fit under the bonnet and between the rails?

Cheers
Glen
hooking up boost gauges correctly since I installed my first one
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

The TX early radiators come in two variants. Early model are slide in and the later ones (that continued for all models) are bolt up.

From your
slide between the rails
comment it sound like you have a slide in - tragic news. Moast of the aftermarket stuff is for bolt up. Same wih the mods on this site (Celica, Torana 3 core) - all bolt ups.

My TX coupe originally had a slide in. My solution was to weld in a whole new ratiator support panel for a bolt up type.
BackToTheGem
Regular

Post by BackToTheGem »

Surely it would be easier to get a custom radiator that fitted rather than swap the support panel. Then again I guess that's probably a $400-$600 option vs a radiator support that's virtually nothing if you can weld it in yourself.
S15 Silvia - Daily
KZN130 Surf - Bush Toy
TX Sedan - Gemini heaven (aka Elky's)
TX Coupe - Now we're on!!
TE Cortina - Stock mint condition
Toyota 86 GTS - Due September 1st
geminilover3236
Long Term Member

Post by geminilover3236 »

Going through this process atm with a TD.

In the early models you need to watch your height of the radiator as the lower radiator support is right under the radiator unlike the late model which has it further forward.

Celica RA40 and Diesel radiator will not fit an early model without re-coring to a shorter core.

A 6cyl Torana radiator will fit perfectly providing you switch the outlets over ~$80. (This is the option I've gone with)
TurboGemini

Post by TurboGemini »

I'm doing a TX at the moment, and have modified the slide in section, you can simply cut off part of the slides, and then attach some angle (bolt or weld) and then you've effectively got a bolt in section, same as TC and later.

That way you can run an alloy ebay style radiator.

Thinking about it, I can't see any point in going for something different to the alloy aftermarket radiators, they can be had for as little as $170 or so, are three core, large, and give great cooling. Nothing beats it for bank for buck.

The only down side is because they are so large, and thicker that stock, you can struggle to fit other components in like thermo fans, intercoolers, etc, but you can manage to sqeeze bits in there.

Ben
www.turbogemini.com
Turbo kits - Brake kits - Blow Through Carby kits - EFI kits
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Another issue with the alloy radiators is that the side brackets are flush with front of the radiator. A standard gemini radiator has the side brackets set back about 20mm and the radiator support bracket is shaped accordingly.

If you fit an alloy radiator (or torana I think also) there is a gap between the radiator and the top of the support bracket as well as a clearance problem on early models with the bracing on the bottom front x member.

You can trim the radiator support bracket bolt on points to improve the fit and while you are at it shib 5mm off the top edge of the radiator support bracket and re role the edge (don't wipe out your chasis number by trimming too much). The radiator will then fit perfectly with just enough clearance for a standard fan (I think, haven't fitted one). Check the TD Dog wagon thread in projects for pictures of the mod.

If you check my 75 TX coupe thread in projects you can see a torana radiator mounted. Becase the 4Zc1 in the coupe is 68mm shorter that a G series engine the fitting is easier with one of these motors.
GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Post by GEMWRC »

But what happens when your s%*tty gem motor blocks your sexy cheapass alloy radiator from China ? Or if it gets damaged - Leaks ?
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

GEMWRC wrote:But what happens when your s%*tty gem motor blocks your sexy cheapass alloy radiator from China ? Or if it gets damaged - Leaks ?
You run out of water and your car cooks then blows a head gasket.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

P.S I attempted to get an aftermarket one made and was told it would be cheaper to put a ebay one in.

I have a feeling the guy was under the impression it was a late model bolt in radiator.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
shiftyphuka
Regular

Post by shiftyphuka »

kingswood 3core radiator
78 TD Custom UTE
82 TF Panelvan
78 TD Sedan / Drift Spec