TG elec problems

Forum for all the new members to ask all them questions we have heard before.
Flaming will not be tolerated... If the regulars don’t want to read noobie stuff then don’t open this forum.
gerbil
n00b

TG elec problems

Post by gerbil »

Hi people
Got my alternator reco`d on my 83 TG diesel gem as when started the amp meter would stay flat on 12V ok... changed alt over and amps jump up but the "master warning and Battery light stay on??? got me stumped ... maybe battery is on way out? it shows greem on the battery window and have charger on hoping to top it up ... fuses all ok etc
what do you guys think
Cheers
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

This a very confusing post.

If you have a reading of 12V then I guess it is on the volt meter that is fitted with a standard taco dash. AMP meters read current flow and are not that popular as aftermarket accesseries these days.

Sounds like you have a battery with an inbuilt condition meter that shows green even when the battery is on the way out so they can dud you on tha warranty. (I am being a bit harsh her).

The master warming light staying on indicates a problem with your alterator. If it is a soft glow it my have done a diode and is leaking off charge.
gerbil
n00b

Post by gerbil »

Sorry my bad ... standard dash and now got 14V on volt meter and doesnt change with revs etc and battery light has gone off but still got "master warning " light on and it is bright with no fade if I rev etc
I have no elec experience and the auto leccie assured me it was working as it should etc
Cheers
gerbil
n00b

Post by gerbil »

my manual doesnt say what the Master warning light is for, can anyone enlighten me please
gerbil
n00b

Post by gerbil »

and the heater fan isnt working either - fuses all checked and replaced - new battery - reco`d alternator = WTF is happening as the master warning is still on
Cheers
gerbil
n00b

Post by gerbil »

and now the battery light comes back on = wtf - took battery light globe out but the master warning is still on - wheres the handbrake switch?
Cheers
gerbil
n00b

Post by gerbil »

Any one ??
gemifreak3342
Regular

Post by gemifreak3342 »

best bet would be to take it into a auto electrician and get them to look at it.
GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Post by GEMWRC »

handbrake off ?
GEMWRC
Long Term Member

Post by GEMWRC »

handbrake off ?
jimmymeik89
Regular

Post by jimmymeik89 »

GEMWRC wrote:handbrake off ?
x2 on handbrake

My old TG had the master light on whenever the handbrake was on.. thort it was weird..
Wrx884
Regular

Post by Wrx884 »

dont u need the battery globe in aswell 2 complete the circuit in these?
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

Has anyone thought this through?

Master warning comes on if ANY of the warning lights come on, bulb or no bulb.

Battery light comes on when regulator grounds one side of battery light when engine stopped ignition on instead of 12-14v when charging/engine running.

The heater fan on a TG works on the same principle as the battery light via a relay. If engine not running and not charging then no fan! Again controlled by the regulator.

It is possible for the alternator to charge and the regulator not turn off the charge lamp and not turn on the fan relay.

Anybody see where this is going?
stubbsy212
Regular

Post by stubbsy212 »

TG diesels run a slightly different alternator to TE's, I had the TG alt fail and replaced it with a spare TE one i had, from memory it acted very similar to the situation being described.

As far as i can tell TG are internally regulated. In TE's the reg is on the fire wall, i can not find one in my TG. If i get bored ill see if i can find my wiring diagram for the TG and confirm it.
gemsince88
Regular

Post by gemsince88 »

Internal or external, same thing to look at!