Finding new front suspension components.

Forum for all the new members to ask all them questions we have heard before.
Flaming will not be tolerated... If the regulars don’t want to read noobie stuff then don’t open this forum.
gemmie_clarke82
n00b

Finding new front suspension components.

Post by gemmie_clarke82 »

Hey everyone. I'm rebuilding the front suspension again on my 77 TC coupe.
This time it seems I'm getting ripped at every parts outlet I'm sourcing my parts from. From super cheap, repco, peps, rare spares and even my regular small time outlet guy I've been dealing with for years and have good business relations with.
I'm aware of inflation but still $75 each for upper ball joints? When u can buy lowers for $22 still.
I've been quoted at $140 for control arm bushes and that's for each wishbone?
$60 each for rack ends?
Like I said I'm aware of inflation but over 200% on some of the parts I've asked for in 9 years or so I think is a bit abnormal.
I am a tight arse at the best of times and do my homework before I make my purchases. So I'd like to think I'm not stupid either.
I have also been told by numerous suppliers that they don't make control arm bushes anymore for the gems accept the RB. Is this true? Seems a little funny to me considering they still race them in Queensland don't they? As we all know they are still quite sort after and plenty of people are always prepared to restore them. Can someone throw an old fella a bone and shed some light on this? Or am I just being a tight arse and just suck it up? If springs and shocks go up stuff all in 9yrs then why has every other suspension component gone through the roof? So all in all are the prices I've quoted consistent with what everyone else is shelling out for or do they just jack up the price for living inland? How's everyone else go about it these days? If I gotta pay their prices I will cause I love my coupe. But if there's a cheaper way, like anyone would I'll take it as long as it's not cheaper cause it's dodgey Chinese crap.
Anthony_Gemini
Regular

Re: Finding new front suspension components.

Post by Anthony_Gemini »

Last resort try eBay ,, but if not , the prices your local stores give you will be it ,, got to suck it up mate ,
tobytj
Long Term Member

Post by tobytj »

Go overseas - Rock Auto for example.
Search their site for buik Opels and Chevettes 78-82. I have found the front suspension bits are compatible. But check the photos on the site to make sure.
Mogg suspension parts are pretty good and lot better that most Ebay offerings.
Be careful how you buy so that all the stuff comes from one location as the mail cost is hexxy - but still cheaper over all.
You will find that the USA solution to upper control arms is to press new bushes rather than use the old shell for one of them - It works fine on aussie gemini's too
zep
Long Term Member

Post by zep »

http://my.execpc.com/~rodney1/suspension/index.htm

These are $20 usd each, and they are slotted to give you camber adjustment. Well worth it.