Best power upgrades for G161?? TG 50kw

Forum for all the new members to ask all them questions we have heard before.
Flaming will not be tolerated... If the regulars don’t want to read noobie stuff then don’t open this forum.
LockieTG
n00b

Best power upgrades for G161?? TG 50kw

Post by LockieTG »

Hey forum. I know this is possibly a stretch asking an old forum but I am hoping for some answers.

I have a TG and it's my second car. I'll get straight to the point. I'm on my L2 licence so my speed limit is 90, and my Gemmy struggles to stay at 85 when going up hill haha.

My local mechanic has owned about 5 gemini's and raced them. He thinks I should turbo it, other forum members think I should find a g180. Some say 4ze1.

Questions:
1) what is the best option?
2) is a g180 or g200 a bolt in? (Would make life a lot easier)
3) what else would I need to change if I opted for a 4ze1 swap?

Any info is appreciated thanks!
tobytj
Long Term Member

Re: Best power upgrades for G161?? TG 50kw

Post by tobytj »

G180Z and G200Z are straight bolt in to gemini. Both will give you a car more capable of motorway cruising.

The 4Z series of engines require a bit of mucking about. There are 4Z builds in the project library you can look at.
LockieTG
n00b

Post by LockieTG »

tobytj wrote:G180Z and G200Z are straight bolt in to gemini. Both will give you a car more capable of motorway cruising.

The 4Z series of engines require a bit of mucking about. There are 4Z builds in the project library you can look at.
Cheers. Know anything about turbos? I heard the 161 and 180 respond really damn well to turbos.
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

Boost g series!

I can give u tips if you need. I'll reply properly on PC later
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw
Jonno
Korean Jesus

Post by Jonno »

LockieTG wrote:Hey forum. I know this is possibly a stretch asking an old forum but I am hoping for some answers.
No stretch it's still active and plenty of knowledge here to help :)

Questions:
1) what is the best option?
Ok so you've given us a couple of ideas on what exactly you're thinking which is useful.
Staying Isuzu powered is definitely a step in the easy direction.
Now as for best option. I think this is the common algorhym everyone uses
Cheap
Fast
Reliable
Pick two.
That'll determine which way would be easiest. Next is budget. Turbo installations seem cheap and you can buy most of the junk for not much but you have to look at the bigger picture.

Lets roll with Turbo for the time being and we will get to engine choice in a sec. You'll have to work out whether you want to this with a carby or fuel injection.
Plenty of pros and cons for either. Injection setup will cost more in the long run to.
You'll need to think about the distributor, clutch head gasket actually motor itself will need to mod the sump to accept a turbo drain. Dump pipe and exhaust water lines then tuning etc.
Have a think about that and see what you think. Remember have a budget and probably double it for turbo stuff.
The non turbo and engine upgrade idea is a good one to consider as well.

2) is a g180 or g200 a bolt in? (Would make life a lot easier)
They do bolt in. Only thing you need to be weary of is they originate from a rodeo so sometimes the sumps are different.
These days most of them have been raided for the motor and installed into a Gemi anyway so you shouldn't have too much trouble. Finding one might be difficult but standard you'll gain a bit of a power increase. Have a browse on the forum should be power specs lying around somewhere.

Plenty of options to look at with g series motors to both turbo and naturally aspirated.

3) what else would I need to change if I opted for a 4ze1 swap?
Heaps. If you've got a chance have a look in the Gemini Gallery section. We did another one into my mates TF.
ECU unless you run carbs and even then you need to find a carb dizzy and things.

I can talk you through that to if you want a look in.
75 TX Coupe
GemiNats > https://www.facebook.com/GeminiNationals
#TurboFamily #Geminats #Bucketship
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKSHb ... akJ04sOYjw