Remote shifter conversion - taken from Hotgemini Cache.

Drivetrain articles (gearbox, torque tube, diff)
ashzz/z
Long Term Member

Remote shifter conversion - taken from Hotgemini Cache.

Post by ashzz/z »

Found this on Hotgemini cache, might try it soon -

Remote Shifter Conversion

Materials Needed:
1. Holden Gemini 1975-1985 TX to TG models
2. Remote Shifter
3. Spacer plate
4. New, longer bolts to attach the shifter (Champion M8 * 30mm from Magnet Mart)
5. Gasket Glue and some gaskets which I made from a Corn Flakes packet
6. 4 normal washers and 4 spring washers

WARNING: Only attempt this conversion if you believe you can do the job competently. Otherwise serious injury or death can occur from vehicle malfunction!

If you have ever driven a Gemini you may have realised that the standard manual gearshift position is in a rather obscure position. I found that the gearshift lever sits too far forward and would be much better if it was slightly further back towards the handbrake.

The following information will help you to relocate your shifter around 100mm further back.

Firstly you need to buy the remote shifter itself. I got mine off a Holden Rodeo which also runs an Isuzu engine and gearbox which means that many parts are interchangeable with Gemini bits (well that’s what I first thought). I’m not sure what year model the shifter was off but I think it was around the late eighties models.

Here is a picture of the shifter on a Gemini 5-speed gearbox.
Note the spacer plate and the back of the shifter touching the g/box

The shifter set me back $100 but I’m sure that you could probably find one cheaper. When I got home I realised that the shifter doesn’t quite bolt onto the g/box without a few modifications. After unbolting the quadrant box to fit the shifter I realised that the shifter bolt holes didn’t quite match up with the holes on the gearbox. The distance between the front holes and the rear holes were wider on the shifter that on the g/box. The simplest fix to this is to put the shifter in a drill press and drill the holes wider so that they line up. Once I had done that I put the shifter back on the g/box and found the next problem. The back end of the shifter hits the top of the rear cover on the g/box and thus a spacer plate is needed. Even if it did fit flush the selector part of the shifter would interfere with the selectors in the g/box because it is too long. So it was time for a trip down to the metal centre for a piece of 6mm aluminium 105*110mm. After drilling holes for the bolts and cutting the centre out I put it on but the selector still interfered with the g/box, so using the bench grinder at work I ground about 3-5mm off the end and now it works perfectly.

Now with that all sorted the only thing to do now is to put the g/box in the car. This will require mods to the transmission tunnel to allow the shifter to be in the right place. A jigsaw with a metal cutting blade should help with this task. Once the shifter is in place you will need to fabricate you own rubber boot to fit around the shifter to block out water, dirt and most of all, noise. even with the rubber boot off slightly it can be very loud inside.

Once the gearbox is in the car you will realise that the gearstick is really long seeing it is out of a commercial vehicle so you will need to shorten it somewhat. Your local metal centre should be able to do this.

And voila the shifter conversion is in place.

FAT93M
Regular

Post by FAT93M »

If you look a bit further down, ive already copied this over :wink:
ashzz/z
Long Term Member

Post by ashzz/z »

Why hasnt it been put in the driveline froum yet :? Crumz engine tune up specs got transferred straight away :roll:
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

ashzz/z wrote:Why hasnt it been put in the driveline froum yet :? Crumz engine tune up specs got transferred straight away :roll:
actully.. crums is am mod.. he just put it there..

so :roll: to your self
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

ashzz/z
Long Term Member

Post by ashzz/z »

Exactly my point, he put his stuff in there and completely ignored the other ones :?
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

wahh wahh waahhh

ashzz/z
Long Term Member

Post by ashzz/z »

Whats the point of even having this whole section if your mod team isnt going to run it properly? it defeats the purpose of splitting the section up into sub sections if the mods arent going to put the topics in their respective forums.
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

cos were a bunch of nazi c*#nts....

good enough reason?

FAT93M
Regular

Post by FAT93M »

ashzz/z wrote:Whats the point of even having this whole section if your mod team isnt going to run it properly? it defeats the purpose of splitting the section up into sub sections if the mods arent going to put the topics in their respective forums.
MAYBE,...Just Maybe, they dont have the time RIGHT NOW to do it..it does take a couple of minutes to do it, and they might not have that
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

exactly.. my time is packed with things like creating world peace, helping the homless, ect.. i dont have the time to move all these threads....!!!

FFS!!..

now where did i put my etch a sketch.....

Crumz

Post by Crumz »

ashzz/z wrote:Exactly my point, he put his stuff in there and completely ignored the other ones :?
I put the stuff that I took in the right spots straight away as I did them. Why bother moving s*#t around?
This is the first time I've even seen the submission, so dry your eyes princess.
Another Quality Post by Crumz

Fix the roads, not the fines.
vl_nick
n00b

Post by vl_nick »

just to let you guys know, i wrote this article when i had my gemmy and was on hotgemini.com if you have ay questions feel free to ask but i will need to jog my memory a bit. i can re-supply the photos if you want. i think i still have them
gemhead
Long Term Member

Post by gemhead »

if you've got more photos mate throw em up mate they always help
KINGEM
n00b

shifter

Post by KINGEM »

Isnt there a remote shifter from the old "diesel" rodeo's that bolts straight on??

I know theres gotta be something that bolts straight on coz' I've got 1,mick @ micks motorsport has one on hes,and my other mate mick has one on hes.

Sure they're hard to find,but they bolt straight up.I got f*#ked around abit by wreckers telling me theres no such thing,and i dont know what im talking about,but if you take your gemi shifter with you,and insist to compare your shifter with their rodeo shifters,sooner or later you're bound to find one
Hitting the streets......once the workload stops!
WillsTG
Chatterbox

Post by WillsTG »

Hey just a couple of noob questions i guess,
If you can get your hands on one of these is it worth it and are they reliable?
And also if you install one can you change back to standard?

Cheers Will
LSD - Locked Standard Diff