DIY locked diff

Drivetrain articles (gearbox, torque tube, diff)
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

Boostin for lyfe!
macca_loto
Long Term Member

Post by macca_loto »

Why would you spend $100 when you can make your own mini spool for a bit of gas and come wire.......

CHRIS...
STREET WISE PERFORMANCE ~ "Coming to a suburb near you"

TG- Latest Project plans not sure
WH Caprice daily driver- Tune, Exhaust, auto, stall, diff gears, Valve springs, U/Dirve pulley, OTRCAI 12.7@ 108 MPH
timo360
Regular

Post by timo360 »

If i were to lock my diff would this make it dangerous to drive on the highway at 100 clicks? Or does it only really kick the arse out around tighter corners. theres a few sweeping bends on the highway on my way to work, will this cause the gem to want to drift or even spin out
Gemi Coupe
Long Term Member

Post by Gemi Coupe »

post contents removed
Last edited by Gemi Coupe on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buggzy
Long Term Member

Post by Buggzy »

personal experience has me loving my locker on the freeway the car sits perfectly on the road and feel stable and strong. around big sweeping corners you cannot tell its locked and its only at slow speed on big corners that its harder to steer and it makes the jumping squealing noise. I love my locker and I believe my car would be extremely dangerous to drive without it. Personal opinion only. YES ITS ILLIGAL
Boostin for lyfe!
timo360
Regular

Post by timo360 »

yeah i know what a locker is. thanks buggzy thats answered my question. not sure if ill do it but, just a wee bit nervous of it breakin loose at 100kay when im not expecting it :shock:
G200-GEM
Regular

Post by G200-GEM »

i just took the cover plate off, drained the oil completely.

degreased it all.

welded the s*#t out of it lol

greased the bearings and crown wheel, cover back on and filled the oil up and its been sweet as a nut for 6 months!

only took half hour too!
2L DOHC 1976 TX Gemini HILLS
DATSUN 1200 Sedan MINT DAILY
Bluebird TRX CA18DET COILOVERS - DRIFTER
GEMN8N

Post by GEMN8N »

would some one please be able to provide some pictures next time they do it??.. it will make it so much easier lol

cheers jake
Project: 76' Turbo TX Coupe
81' V6 TE Drift
78' V6 TD Panelvan
96' VS Manual Ute
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

I welded a 10mm Plate in to the middle of the spider gears, then welded the gears to the housing. I used a Lincon 175 Mig and I also slowly heated up the Diff center on the BBQ to help prevent cracking and to also get a better weld.

Remove your bearings or you will damage them.

#Turbocoupe75
Gene FJ20DEBT
Supreme Overlord

Post by Gene FJ20DEBT »

thats how mine has been done..
"No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough."

Nimbus
Regular

Post by Nimbus »

Yeah, I agree, it's the best way.
Heaps less breakages. Even better if you cut 'teeth' into the plate, so as it slots into the gears. Adds a shitload of strength. Make a cardboard template first.. ;)
You MUST remove bearings first. They arc internally, pitting the casing. I've killed a few diffs because I didn't remove them. They chew out, mashing the crown and pinion to death. Pre-heat the centre with ya oven/bbq/oxy...Microwave?? :)
This one was for the Super Carry. Best mod possible for driving on 2 wheels..tipping over. Sorry, I have no before shots of the plate..
Cheers, Greg.
Look kids! It's an internet forum!
GEMN8N

Post by GEMN8N »

thanks every much, so once you taken of the back plate of the diff, all this is visible and easy to access?

cheers jake
Project: 76' Turbo TX Coupe
81' V6 TE Drift
78' V6 TD Panelvan
96' VS Manual Ute
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Take the gear carrier out before you weld it and degrease it properly, I have seen a couple of "In diff" locking jobs and after a few weeks they turn ugly with bearing noises ect ect. It may be quicker in the short term but do it once, do it properly.
#Turbocoupe75
SICKTG
Long Term Member

Post by SICKTG »

Turbocoupe75 wrote:Take the gear carrier out before you weld it and degrease it properly, I have seen a couple of "In diff" locking jobs and after a few weeks they turn ugly with bearing noises ect ect. It may be quicker in the short term but do it once, do it properly.
we welded one in car and it broke the welds after a few weeks took it out and welded theshit out of it so we will see how long it lasts now
mm-rob
n00b

Post by mm-rob »

anyone got a pic of gemini centre welded?