Wrecker Part list for EFI

General Gemini Chat
Forum for all gemini based chat & questions
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Wrecker Part list for EFI

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Hi all efi gurus!

I’m looking at hitting the wreckers to get an efi loom for the race car, any advice on extra bits required or prefered?

- looking at getting:

rodeo efi wiring loom complete
Computer from vp / vr to use Delco & potentially Kalmaker if they still exist.
- optical dizzy (already have)
-map sensor?
-TPS ( already using VN throttle body)
-temp sensors?

I would like to run coil packs too, can the optical dizzy output be used for that?

Cheers

Morgan
#Turbocoupe75
F3ARED

Re: Wrecker Part list for EFI

Post by F3ARED »

Its hard to say which bits to get without 100% knowing which ECU you will be using. I dont know enough about the Delco/Kalmaker stuff to comment on wether or not it can do COP/Waste spark and which trigger arrangements it can use. My advice would be to honestly ditch the Delco and get an aftermarket ECU that is better supported. I know the Delcos have a sort of cult following where people swear that they are the best things ever made but at the end of the day it is still 30yr old technology, and its only as good as the tune. Given not many tuners support it, it doesnt matter how good the ECU is if you cant get the best out of it.

Map sensor if you are using a Delco or any ECU that doesnt have an inbuilt one, grab one off the firewall from an N13 Pulsar, Camira or VN Commodore. 99% of aftermarket ECUs support the GM bits so they are good ones to use, however this is only good for naturally aspirated setups. You'll need to buy a different MAP sensor if your going boosted. If aftermarket ECU without inbuilt MAP [which, it would have to be old and basic to not have one] Volvo turbo Bosch unit or maybe even some Saabs.

TPS use the one that goes with the VN V6 throttle body regardless of ECU. Pretty sure its a variable one too plus well supported being GM.

Temp sensors, if Delco use all GM bits. Air intake temp sensor from a V6 Commodore [front of the manifold from memory], plus you'll need a a coolant temp SENSOR not SENDER [one talks to ECU, the other one to gauge hence critical you get the right one]. Thats actually pretty much all you will need besides the correct ignition setup.

An optical dizzy can be used to run Coil on plug or wasted spark however the question mark is over if the Delco can be modified to support that trigger pattern. The one in the 4ZE1 has 360 outter slots, 4 inner. This will run wasted spark on some aftermarket ECUs; to run coil on plug it will need a HOME/TDC reference so one of the slots will need to be filled out to create that reference point [ecu counts X teeth/slots minus 1]. The issue is there is too much resolution [ie too many slots] on the standard 4Z disc which can give issues with some ecus - from the research I did, the aftermarket trigger wheel for a Pulsar GTiR drops straight in and has a friendlier trigger pattern [24-1 outter / 4 - 1 inner] to allow sequential injection. Eli covers some good info here on using a 4Z optical as a crank trigger viewtopic.php?f=27&t=27104

My opinion? Find yourself a cheap/second hand aftermarket ECU and run a basic 24-1 crank trigger and wasted spark/non sequential.
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
Turbocoupe75
Long Term Member

Post by Turbocoupe75 »

Thanks,

After market might be the go for now, with my limited time it's probably wiser to pay a professional to install and tune from scratch,.
Ill probably grab a standard rodeo setup to get the car running in the driveway then get a professional do the rest.
#Turbocoupe75
moley
Long Term Member

Post by moley »

I reckon it would be cheaper in the long run to buy an aftermarket ecu.
I picked up my late model sm4 for 800 bucks with a full loom.
By the time you mess around with a Delco you would have spent that anyway.
Then you can use what ever sensors you want as well.
Coupe rebuild number 6..
viewtopic.php?t=44564
F3ARED

Post by F3ARED »

Yep, if you look in the right places there are bargains to be had - i picked up an EMS Stinger for $400 so there are decent ones out there. The only thing id avoid is a Microtech and thats mainly because you are stuck with whatever trigger/ignition setup is coded onto the ecu. Cant just select another ignition setup etc. People get sucked into features they dont need when it comes to ECU's real easy. Ive lost count at the amount of top dollar ECUs [Haltech Platinums, SM4s etc] bought based on features like seq ign/fuel capabilities but the tuner has just set them up as plain old batch fire....
Previously GeminiCoupe/GeminiRollingShell/SCAR3D/Jonnoisac#nt

78 TD Gemini Sedan - R.I.P
81 TE Gemini Sedan
DR_GEM
Long Term Member

Post by DR_GEM »

F3ARED wrote:Yep, if you look in the right places there are bargains to be had - i picked up an EMS Stinger for $400 so there are decent ones out there. The only thing id avoid is a Microtech and thats mainly because you are stuck with whatever trigger/ignition setup is coded onto the ecu. Cant just select another ignition setup etc. People get sucked into features they dont need when it comes to ECU's real easy. Ive lost count at the amount of top dollar ECUs [Haltech Platinums, SM4s etc] bought based on features like seq ign/fuel capabilities but the tuner has just set them up as plain old batch fire....
Completely agree especially on the last bit

Buy something that does what you need it to do, don't buy something based on its potentially that you will never use

Only thing I would say is the microtechs are reliable for what they are. Simple and efffecive for simple setups. They can be had cheap if you can find one to suit your ignition setup

Mick
I wish i had something cool and witty in my signature